registration closes aug. 27
Fueled by an ever-increasing demand for pecans — the original “supernut” — prices received by growers for improved cultivars and native pecans have increased over the past few years and continue to remain strong. Pecan culture presents unique management challenges due to factors including tree size, nutrient and water requirements, and the need for specialized equipment.
At the end of this seminar, you will have a basic understanding of the various practices used in pecan production.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Proper site selection for pecans
- Pecan variety selection
- Pecan establishment
- Soil and plant nutrition management
- Irrigation management
- Crop load management
- Pruning and training pecan trees
- Insect and disease management
- Pecan harvest and food safety
HOW YOU WILL LEARN:
- Seminar presentations
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Individuals interested in pecan production as a means to supplement income.