Our area has so much to offer. Find upcoming events below, or submit your event listing for approval.
- This event has passed.
So You Want to Grow Fruit in Your Backyard?
January 29, 2019 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Producing fruit in a backyard presents special challenges, including limited space and lack of resources available to commercial growers. This course is designed to help attendees maximize resources available in order to grow small and tree fruits.
At the end of the program, attendees will have a more complete understanding of the various practices one can use to grow fruit in a backyard.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Orchard size considerations
- How to analyze/design a site
- How to prepare a site
- The importance of soil testing
- Criteria for selecting varieties
- Where to source plants
- Planting tips
- Irrigation system design considerations
- An overview of necessary and optional equipment and growing supplies
- Crop fertilization considerations
- Training and pruning guidelines
- How to manage crop load
- How to schedule irrigation
- How to manage pests
HOW YOU WILL LEARN:
- Seminar presentations
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Anyone who wants to grow small and tree fruit in a backyard setting